Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Fate?

I normally don't even pretend to believe in fate or destiny, but something happened today that made me question my skepticism.

It was the strangest thing. I was walking around downtown Ithaca taking snapshots for my Streescapes assignment. I was strolling down the main Commons and kept noticing this man in front of me. Young guy, well-groomed, business casual attire. Must have been a Johnson School grad student. It was like I was inadvertently following him. He would turn, and then I would turn (because that was on my path). He definitely saw me because he looked back a few times (checking me out? I don't know). He was going where I was going. And then he took a left, and I continued straight. Whew. Didn't want him to think I was creepy or anything. And then...

I decided to go to Starbucks to get some coffee and work on my project... and lo, and behold, who did I see in front of me as I crossed Seneca Street? Mr. Business Major. We crossed the street and he continued straight, while I turned left. Good. He must be going to somewhere important, because there are a lot of tall, looming, business-y looking buildings on Tioga Street, and that would make sense. So, relieved, I walked into Starbucks. And there he was, right in front of me in line. WHAT WAS GOING ON? So I try to play it cool and pretend like I hadn't noticed anything and ignore the strangeness of our little saga. And then the barista chick asks us what we want, and he orders a Tall Pumpkin Spice Latte. Exactly what I was going to order. THE SAME DRINK (except mine was nonfat). This was too ridiculous to be happening to me. I go to sit down and the only table is within close proximity, so I constantly see him sitting a few feet from out of the corner of my eye. I go to pick up my drink and he stares at me, downright stares. Now, I don't know what he was thinking, whether he was flattered or creeped out or checking me out or what...

Now if this isn't fate, I don't know what is. It's not like he was particularly attractive or anything, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be my future husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment