Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Feminism (or the lack thereof)

I'd like to pretend I'm a feminist... but try as I might, I fail miserably.

Consider this: for Halloween I was a Pin-Up Girl and a Librarian/Housewife (my Halloween spanned two nights). How much farther from feminism can you get? Both are different takes on the epitome of female objectification: one, the very image of sex; the other, the image of domesticity. And I voluntarily, even excitedly, portrayed both of these. They were great costumes. It was fun.

Whether I want to admit it or not, I am obsessed with the "cult of domesticity." I love cooking and baking and cleaning and dressing up and being seen. I'm passive, which just continues the tradition of female subordination. Is that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment